PROFILE OF AMBASSADOR RAJIV KUMAR CHANDER
Ambassador Rajiv Kumar Chander joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1983 after obtaining degrees in History and Law. His first assignment abroad was at the Embassy of India, Moscow after which he returned to New Delhi to handle political work relating to Bangladesh in the Foreign Ministry. He was posted to Germany in the early 1990s where he worked as First Secretary/ Counsellor(Political) for four and a half years (1992-1997). He handled work related to the United Nations in the Foreign Ministry, New Delhi as Director from 1997-1999.
2. Ambassador Chander was posted to St. Petersburg as Consul General from 2000-2002 after which he proceeded on deputation to the Secretariat of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) based in Kathmandu, Nepal from September 2002 to August 2006.
3. From October 2006 to December 2009, Ambassador Chander was posted at the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations Office and other International Organizations in Geneva where he also served as Deputy Permanent Representative. From 2010 to mid-2011, he was Head of the Division handling political work relating to Gulf countries as well as Haj related matters in the Foreign Ministry, New Delhi.
4. Ambassador Chander served as Ambassador of India to Ukraine from July 2011 to July 2015. He was Consul General of India in Vancouver from August 2015 to April 2017 before joining as Ambassador & Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations Office and Other International Organizations in Geneva in mid-April 2017. He took over additional charge as Permanent Representative of India to the Conference on Disarmament on August 1, 2018.
5. He is married to Dr. Shalini C. Chander and has one daughter.
6. Ambassador Chander speaks English, Russian and basic German.